Dubai raises the competition bar higher for hotelsFive Star Hotels
Dubai is known for its tourism industry, real estate market and certainly for its hospitality sector as well. It has some of the finest and glitziest hotels and hotel chains in the world but now the city is raising the bar higher for hotels by introducing a new hotel classification system.
Most of us remain confused by thinking about what constitutes a three or five star hotel as there is no globally recognized and unified system for the hotel industry. Several hotel operators and managers want to work under one system that must be applied throughout the world.
However, few hoteliers have contrary views that implementing one system throughout the world is impractical as different parts of the worlds have different norms, customs and traditions and at the same time, economics is also different everywhere. Land price varies from one place to another. The issue with this star based system is that the system is too subjective.
High standards must be enforced everywhere in hotel industry especially in Dubai because the hospitality industry is growing rapidly. A new classification and rating system is introduced in Dubai and let’s see how it will work.
- Under this classification system, guest accommodation will be divided into a range of categories.
- Five star hotels will be able to apply for ‘Gold’ or ‘Platinum’ status.
- A minimum of 34 square metres for a double room will be required in a five-star hotel, excluding bathrooms and balconies.
- A minimum of 18 square metres for a double room will be required in a one-star hotel.
- For traditional five star hotels, there is also a new ‘budget’ rating.
- From the date of publication of new system, hotels will have six month grace period to review the new standards and prepare to meet the standards.
- After six months, there will be a one year ‘introductory’ period during which all new hotel properties will have to adhere to the system during this time.
These guidelines have already been published by the Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM), which has developed this system.
Written by hotelsdubai